Nav Buttons

Tuesday 8 May 2012

I disagree! (Being compared to a toddler!?)

The other day, my friends compared me to a toddler!


As a 19-year-old, this didn't make me feel great... I wasn't sure what they meant anyway. Do I communicate like a toddler? Do I look like a toddler? What characteristics could I possibly carry that would be similar to a toddler? I just don't get it. This statement which they made, filled me with dread and anxiety. What was I 'putting out there' that would make them say such a thing? I disagreed to what they said... and still do, in fact, I object!

So, I started thinking about what they said and then began to compare myself to a stereotypical toddler, perhaps I could see some similarities which would make me understand why they would say this.

I started thinking about toddlers:


I just don't see it! 


I do not look like that! So... I can rule out looking like a toddler! (That's kind of a relief!) 


I don't do toddler-like stuff, like draw badly. So, that can't be it! 


And I certainly don't throw tantrums like a toddler. So far... I can't see any similarities between myself and a stereotypical toddler. So, I obviously have to change my point of view and look for traits in me, which you might associate with that of a toddler...



I am happy most of the time. And, I also like to dance and sing and joke and laugh and jump about... but, that's normal, isn't it?


I do ask a lot of questions, which one might associate with a toddler but I don't ask 'WHY?'... I like to think of myself as a 'Curious Genius'. And ask questions which stimulate the brain, not 'WHY?', so again... I wouldn't associate this with any trait that a toddler might carry. 

And, with me... there is also no middle ground:


OR


But again, I still don't see why they would say such a thing?! 





No comments:

Post a Comment